Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monday Inspirations 7

Grasses; their forms, stories, colours and patterns....
I love the tussock grass patterns. The way they stand up and above the low grasses; the colour in their stems, and the random patterning of the clumps over the fields.
 These grasses inspire me to keep my designs asymmetrical; to infuse a random nature into my patterning; to include vermilion as a life force color, and to bring some three dimensional aspect to even the most compact work. Grass is not only green- how many colours are there in that one tuft! In the picture above, I pay attention to the large, tall, angular tuft, surrounded by smaller round clumps of grass. Different patterns playing....
It was these grass patterns that inspired my 2010 line of home furnishings- the paddock carpet and cushions. Kept very simple, so it can be integrated into the home, but still a reminder of the natural world.
 I think most patterns in nature remind us to keep our work flexible and varied.
 The different grasses and wildflowers don't all grow in groups or lines. There are gaps and spaces; open areas, and then clusters. That can be difficult to recreate in wool, felting or knitting. In felting, my favourite method is Ginger tip #1: cutting with scissors, small flecks of hand dyed wool; allowing them to fall and stay, and building up layers of colour and pattern  in this way.
There is strength in flexibility. An attribute of the grasses that is most inspring to me.
This is possibly our family motto!
This comes from the Aesops fable: The Tree and the Reed
  "Well, little one," said a Tree to a Reed that was growing at
its foot, "why do you not plant your feet deeply in the ground,
and raise your head boldly in the air as I do?"

  "I am contented with my lot," said the Reed.  "I may not be so
grand, but I think I am safer."

  "Safe!" sneered the Tree.  "Who shall pluck me up by the roots
or bow my head to the ground?"  But it soon had to repent of its
boasting, for a hurricane arose which tore it up from its roots,
and cast it a useless log on the ground, while the little Reed,
bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when
the storm had passed over.
Making breakfast in the Grasslands- 2010
Homeschooling- Journal drawing before we hit the road- 2010
We do need a little of both- the roots and the flexibility.
Warm wishes,
Fiona 

No comments:

Post a Comment