Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Inspirations 10

I haven't written one these for a while. Some days I am just not that inspired. Some days I just need to finish (or start) the list....make food for the family...maintain peace with a house full of three adolescent boys.... I always make things, and love doing it....I sometimes just can't see past the day into new inspirations and creative ideas.  I came into period of time recently where I really needed to work with where I was, and what I had, and not be looking for more ideas.

  Then we went on a hike through the forest, down in Ruckle Park (my most favourite place on earth), off the trails, wandering....
  At the top of a rise, circled in beautiful red arbutus trees we found a full skeleton of a deer. It was an amazing lesson in anatomy to really see the ball and socket and how they work...and to see to subtle shading in the natural wear of the bleached bones. Appreciating them for what they are...and what we could imagine them to be....
 What amazing symmetry. This strikes me as perfect form for a vest..either mystical and mythic, or derived from into an everyday wearable felt or knit piece.
 Just look at those amazing lines...Do our skulls fuse together in these patterns as babies? Wanderings, but with clear direction...an ancient river, complete with oxbow lakes...nature revealing patterns that repeat in different forms.  I'd like to make a simple wool felt wallhanging that includes these wandering lines...I love that they are formed through a fusing together...very felty! I have some local fleeces that would we great to make this with....
 What  a perfect, simple form this is....how feminine and delicious...so graceful and refined...and worn around the edges.  I love this bone...I keep seeing it in my felting shed and wanting to add it to one of my bags...but that is just not the right combination....It is only in writing this that I see I should make some felt wallhanging and use some of the bones within them, as well as as inspiration...
 The vertebrae have great shapes...Each is unique and yet fits tightly with its neighbour..only working when in harmony with the others...These bones inspire both reverence, and fun. I started using these as little puppets (without heads- see their lovely waving arms?) up on the hillside, making up stories...leaving my children rather bemused....Maybe because I was telling them that if we had of had bones like this when they were small, they would have had no toys at all...these bones were so fun....They could even be turned into.....
 ....Rocket fighters...Oh yah....and orchids....mineral orchids....
 These have such different shapes...one so massive and strong, with great rounded protrusions, and one so straight and refined, with crisp, clear carvings.
The long straight tibia (maybe?) reminds me of some Viking carvings I have seen...tools and ornamentation...I love the lines on this bone...It will have to be included in the new felt line as well...

Maybe  this will become a part of a series of felt called provenance....I've been thinking alot about our materials and the provenance of our craft...these bones would excellent to incorporate into such a work..along with local wools and found plant dyes....

Now to find the time to work on these!
Warm wishes,
Fiona


1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying perusing your site on THIS Monday morning! Your felt work is so beautiful, and your appreciation for nature (which we have in common, as well as a great environment) is so evident in this post! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete