Thursday, June 30, 2011

This week in the felting shed...

  Oh Yay! It's Thursday afternoon, before a holiday Friday, and my felt making for ArtCraft is all complete for the week! My wool felt storytelling bags like these...
...have been selling really well (as well as the scarves and earrings) at the summer show I'm taking part in, so I needed to get some serious felting in this week in order to be stocked for the holiday weekend.
And so early in week, I started out making these...


 I make the beads all in natural white, and then toss them in the dyepots when I am overdyeing the silks and scarves. I try to get them floating on the surface so they absorb the dye more on one side, and then dip them into another dyebath for a little more depth of colour...
And I made these....
 More storytelling scarves...these have just been felted. You can see the tannin and coloured imprints from the eco-dyeing, and the texts collected have been added, before felting...
 And I made some of these...
  Three new felt storytelling bags... The grey tone wools seem to be the most popular so far. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out over the summer. They are the colours that most people wear, and then they have some bright colour accent for a bit of spark. 
And then, late last evening, I overdyed, steamed and pressed the scarves...ready to go!


  I worked late into the night...ummmmm...3:00am...I kept thinking that this was a bad idea (or at least it would be in the morning, when I had a phone meeting scheduled with my editor for 8:00am!)...but I was watching an interesting documentary on the US school system (not so very relevant to me, but relevant to so many that I know...) And of course sewing, embroidery and beading to do on the bags....which became these....
Ooooo...Up at 7:00 to read and think and prepare for my phone meeting....and then the finishing of the earrings....

  Tagged, priced...and delivered...and now I'm dreaming a giant felt dandelions in seed....think 4-6 feet in diameter....or nuno mandalas....same sizes...maybe that is what this weekend will bring....a wild felting diversion from the production felt pieces...and a little extra sleep!
Happy Canada Day!
Warm wishes,
Fiona

2 comments:

  1. Fiona-What gorgeous new pieces!! I'm sure they will all soon find very happy new owners!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Heather- I really appreciate your comments. You make such wonderful things! Happy holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete